Facebook Twitter Youtube

[Gadgets] reMarkable 2 Review: One Trick Pony

reMarkable 2 Review: One Trick Pony

The reMarkable 2 was launched in 2020. So, it's not a brand-new product that the brand is bringing to the market, but something which was conceptualised several years ago. The tablet is meant to replicate writing on paper helping one convert their handwritten notes into editable digital documents. But given that we are all used to having wrist watches which can run apps, place calls and track your health, TVs that come with app integrations or double up as wall paintings. Or earphones that can translate spoken language and accept voice commands, the reMarkable 2 will definitely fail to appeal to the regular consumer who's desperately seeking maximum value from any given product.

I have been using this tablet for several months, and I haven't switched over to using it as a planner or a diary (I'll explain why below), but I have found it useful in some cases where pen and paper make more sense to me. If you have been pondering whether the reMarkable 2 paper tablet makes sense in your life, this review should give you an answer.

reMarkable 2 Review: Price in India

The reMarkable 2 in India can be purchased as a bundle at Rs. 43,999. You get the reMarkable 2 paper tablet and the Marker Pen Plus accessory, which comes with a built-in eraser. The second bundle, which I received for review, is called the reMarkable 2 Bundle with Folio. It is available at Rs. 53,999 and adds a Book Folio cover for basic protection.

reMarkable also sent across their Type Folio Keyboard cover, which was launched in 2023, for review. It's available in two finishes, Ink Black and Sepia Brown. I received the Sepia Brown cover for review, which is priced at Rs. 19,499 officially.

reMarkable 2 Review: Design and accessories

Starting with the accessories, reMarkable only has the Marker Plus pen on sale in India. It does not use a battery and so needs no charging. It has a built-in eraser with a slightly rounded head. The pen comes with 9 extra tips in its packaging, which provides plenty of mileage even for serious or heavy users.

The optional Book Folio cover offers basic protection for the reMarkable 2's display, so those looking to protect it from drops will have to look up third-party accessories.

The Type Folio cover is rather interesting. While it appears like a typical tablet cover made from artificial leather and plastic, it is quite an engineering marvel. Just like the Marker Plus pen, it does not have a battery, and so does not require charging. I

t draws power via five pogo pins located inside the area where the paper tablet attaches.

https://i.gadgets360cdn.com/large/remarkable2_typefolio_design_ndtv_1713956105056.jpg

When closed, the Tan Brown cover appears just like any other tablet folio case. In fact, it's really hard to tell that there's a keyboard hidden just below the paper tablet. The Type Folio has three positions in all. There's the first one, where the front flap (which otherwise protects the display) is wrapped around the back, making it ideal for taking hand-written notes when laid flat on your lap or a table.

Advertisement

Next, there's a second angle that I call the "typing mode", with the tablet standing up and the keyboard exposed below it, which is ideal just for distraction-free typing.

There is a third mode, which I call the "review mode." This mode keeps the tablet at a less slanted angle with the keyboard exposed for typing while also letting one write comfortably by resting one's palm on display instead of keeping one's hand floating in the air when in "typing mode."

One detail that I did miss was the paper tablet's ability to wake up when opening the Type Folio or Folio covers. So, after opening the flap, you have to reach out for the power button at the top to wake up the tablet from its sleeping state. One can also choose to keep it on all the time, but the battery will drain a lot faster when in this state. Thankfully, there is a passcode lock feature so you can secure your tablet from prying eyes.

The reMarkable 2 does not include a charger in its packaging; instead, it offers a branded USB Type-A to Type-C cable in the box.

https://www.gadgets360.com/tablets/reviews/remarkable-2-review-5513011#pfrom=indepth