[News]The detainee for the death of Chavero: I have taken a weight off my shoulders

SougarLord

El presunto autor de la desaparición y muerte de Chavero

I have taken a burden off my shoulders, admitted Eugenio Delgado, arrested for the disappearance and death of Manuela Chavero, on Sunday night before the head of the Court of Instruction number 1 of Zafra (Badajoz), as ABC has been able to confirm. The judge, after taking a statement for more than two and a half hours in which he answered the questions of all the parties, decreed his entry into prison without bail for a crime of illegal detention and another of murder, although he has not yet reached the jail because proceedings continue to be carried out both at his home and at another farm he owns.

The suspect kept the service before the judge the same version as before the Civil Guard: he went to Manuela's house from July 4 to 5, 2016 for the woman to pick up from her home, just a few meters away, a crib that she had lent her the victim to his family. According to him, they argued in the hallway and the woman fell and hit her head. He was scared and decided to decide the body in an old fox den, which he later covered on his large estate La Dehesa.

The Civil Guard, which has already carried out three eye inspections (or one in three times) in Delgado's home, has found a trace of blood in the hallway despite the time that has elapsed. The investigators do not believe the version of the accident sustained by the detainee, nor the pretext of the crib at that time of the morning. "He has had all the time in the world to think about what he was going to say," say the sources consulted.

The suspicion is that Delgado tried to sexually assault his neighbor, who was almost twice his age and was a friend of the family, but she resisted. The time that has elapsed and the fact that the first vertebra of the body had not been located until yesterday complicate the forensic work. The UCO agents continue to work against the clock to try to arrive at the closest reality of how the events could have happened.

Hence, the detainee has not entered jail and will not do so until the agreed proceedings are completed. This morning, after spending the fourth night in the dungeons of the Zafra barracks, the Civil Guard took him to another farm of his property and later back to the house for the third time to follow the visual inspection, while analyzing the Land Rover that he took from the house.

Delgado had known for weeks that he was the main suspect and also the legal consequences he was facing. He offered the version of the accident, but it is true that he took the agents to the exact place where he deposited the body of Manuela Chavero. When he did, he had already spoken to the attorney who assisted him and decided to move on.

The great unknown remains what happened between August 27 when the Civil Guard was deployed and made visible in Monesterio in a supposed new search of the victim's home (an attempt to make him feel singled out) and last Thursday when they arrested him . Sources in his environment assure that he did not plan to flee. He's had four years to do it too, they say.

• I love it 1