Facebook Twitter Youtube

[News]Kerala school uniform: Why some Muslim groups are protesting

Arunabh.ly__

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-59723756

Students of Government Girls Higher Secondary School in Kerala's Balussery town in their new uniform

A row has broken out in the southern Indian state of Kerala after a government school allowed teenage female students to wear trousers. The BBC's Geeta Pandey in Delhi and Ashraf Padanna in Kerala explain the controversy over clothes.

On Wednesday morning, when Sringi CK waited at the bus stop to catch a bus to school in her brand new uniform, a compliment from an unknown woman made her feel special.

"This lady told me that I looked very smart and I felt very proud," the 17-year-old, who studies in class 11 at the Government Girls Higher Secondary School in the town of Balussery, told the BBC.

But once Sringi reached school, she had to make her way through a throng of protesters - kept in check by dozens of policemen - who were unhappy that girls could now wear trousers and shirts, just like the boys.

Until the changeover, female students wore traditional long tunics, loose fitting trousers and waistcoats.

School principal Indu R told the BBC that last year girls, who are now in class 12, suggested they should be allowed to wear the same uniform as the boys.