Facebook Twitter Youtube

Toyota GT86 on Dover cliffs history trail

Dani ♡

Toyota-GT-86-Dover-castle-xlarge_trans_N 

In about 50BC, Julius Caesar wrote that of the Britons, “by far the most civilised are those who inhabit Cantium, the whole of which is a maritime region; and their manners differ little from those of the Gauls”. As a Kentish man with Gallic roots, I’m inclined to agree with him.

It’s before dawn and an amber glow blurs the cloudy horizon ahead on the southbound M20, a vital conduit between Britain and the Continent. I’m staying on the motorway until it becomes the A20, remaining firmly on this side of the Channel to explore Dover and the surrounding area, Britain’s most south-easterly corner and one that bears the stamp of thousands of years of history.

There’s just enough ice on the road to remind me that January is a bad time to test a rear-wheel-drive sports coupé, in this case the new Toyota GT86, a driver-focused car that’s so far proven more po[CENSORED]r with critics than it has with buyers....