Facebook Twitter Youtube

Bill Gates gave a sweet Secret Santa gift to a Reddit user.

Destroid™

bill-gates-secret-santa-600x450.jpg

As part of Reddit’s annual Secret Santa, which 120,650 users of the website signed up for this year, Bill Gates got his Kris Kringle on, giving one lucky Reddit user the gift of getting a gift from Gates himself.

According to Business Insider, Gates gave user NayaTheNinja a bunch of new outdoor gear, including a mosquito net, a tent and a camping chair along with a Gates-picked playlist and a book called “Thing Explainer.”

But the cherry on top was something less tangible: a  donation to the charity Malaria No More, which works toward eradicating the disease.

On her Reddit gift page, NayaTheNinja explained why the donation to the charity was so special to her:
Last year I had the opportunity to visit a friend finishing up her Peace Corps service in Zambia. I spent a few days in her rural village with her and then we traveled around for a few weeks. Because I prefer to talk to locals rather than spend all my time traveling with other tourists, we did a lot of chatting with people. A topic that came up more frequently than one might like if they were looking to keep the conversation light and cheerful is the prevalence of malaria. A man I talked to in Zambia told me that it had been years since he’d had it and he was pretty stoked about that. Someone I talked to on Zanzibar thought the USA as a whole is the best thing ever because some program (an NGO? The government? I’m not sure) helped facilitate insecticide spraying, which brought down the malaria rates (and therefore deaths) considerably. PC volunteers I talked to shared the experiences they had with malaria when they stopped taking their anti-malarial meds and said it was really miserable even with readily available and top of the line medical care.

Gates has been fighting Malaria through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for years so it’s not a surprise that he would be privy to how important the issue is.

“You and I have something in common: We both hate mosquitos!” Gates wrote in his Secret Santa note. “One of my Secret Santa presents to you is a donation in your name to Malaria No More, because no child should ever die of a mosquito bite.”

Gates has participated in Reddit’s Secret Santa for the last few years, so sign up next year and, who knows, he may just grant your wish.

• I love it 2